It is such a happy time to visit the gravesites of loved ones and remember. Remembering is what Memorial Day is all about. No one remembers all of the stories there are to tell about each one of them better than my Grandpa Pratt. This year, all of this was to take place during Reagan's nap time. Nap time is precious these days, but we decided that Reagan had to suck it up because I would not miss this time for the world. These traditions have been a big part of my life, and I want Reagan to have the same opportunities that I did feeling connected to loved ones that have passed, even though we didn't have the opportunity to meet most of them in this life. I have some amazing relatives. Their lives and actions inspire me. Each of them deserves their own blog post. I will have to do that sometime.
After visiting all of our relatives' gravesites, we attended the program held at Greenacres. It was full of stories and music from past wartimes, and inspirational words concerning the status of our country now. Jerry Stewart, a big time radio host that has a syndicated show on KGMI spoke and I was moved to tears, as was Jason, and the rest of the crowd there, which must have been thousands of people. He spoke of returning to the way the Constitution was meant to be interpreted, as well as giving due credit to God, who gave us this country that we are so blessed to live in. He also spoke at length about those who have spilled precious blood for our freedom and those who continue to. I don't have the words to express my gratitude for these people. I am saddened when I see so many people taking advantage of their freedom and the sacrifice so many have made to keep us safe and free. We need more "memorial days" so that we don't forget what has gone into shaping this country.
Just a side note, this weekend I was reminded of the mini-series "Band of Brothers," which is about the Easy Company of the US Army 101st Airborne division and their mission in WWII. It is narrated by some of the survivors of the mission. A couple summers ago, Jason and I watched this every night for about two weeks until we finished it. (Just thinking about that makes me realize how different life is now with a child!) Anyways, it is one of the best "movies" I have ever seen and gave me a whole new level of understanding and respect for what these people went through. I highly highly highly recommend it! It will not disappoint.
Warning: Lots o' pictures
This little girl makes awesome "I'm tired but don't want anyone to know so I'll act drunk and happy" faces. Or, she just looks at all of our squinty Pratt eyes and tries to copy.

5 comments:
Your grandma and grandpa are just the cutest things! I remember one summer when I lived at home and my friend Natalie and I would go to the institute family home evenings at their house, and we just loved them! Reagan is getting so big too! She looks more like a toddler than a baby now! Cute pictures:)
I love this! p.s. isn't it weird how doing blog posts for people is like the most sincere form of flattery and gratitude these days? like doing them for your ancestors and stuff.. i'm not even joking.
I was hoping you would post soon! Love all of the pictures, she makes some great faces. In the crazy smile pictures of her at the cemetary she looks like a Pratt! Woohoo! We need to go to a park soon and let the babies eat leaves and bark together.
i wish i could have attended some sort of memorial day service -- that sounded like it was really neat. i'll have to rent band of brothers sometime too! i've got two months til i no longer will have the "every night for two weeks" alone with my husband to watch tv series... good idea!
EM! Thanks for posting these. I was VERY jealous of you guys this year. We don't have any relatives here :(
Post a Comment