Monday, July 27, 2009

Old Settlers Parade

On Saturday we braved the heat and went to the Old Settler's Parade in Ferndale. I have been going to this with my family since I was just a kid, so we wanted to share all the excitement with Reagan. Reagan however, once she got her hands on some candy, couldn't have cared less about the parade. An occasional dog would walk by, and she would bark. She waved at a couple "pretty princesses," but mostly she wanted to sit and eat her candy, drink her root beer (a little sugar never hurt anyone!) and spontaneously decide that the road was a better place to be than the sidewalk. Maybe she'll be a little more interested next year?

The gang


Bumpah being silly with orange teeth


She didn't love the loud sirens from the fire engines. Nana had to protect her.


I wish we would have gotten a better picture of this, but see that golf cart right there in the middle of the road? In the passenger seat is Steve, the man that has lived with my parents for 22 years that has Down's Syndrome. He LOVES Ferndale High School, and is probably their biggest fan when it comes to football and the band. For years, he has gotten to "lead" the band in the Old Settler's Parade. We were so proud of him. Sometimes I get jealous because it seems as though EVERYONE in Ferndale knows Steve. Anytime we're with him there are always people waving at us, honking their horns, and yelling "Hey Steve!" out their windows. I am guessing that's what it feels like to be a celebrity. Or, in my case, a groupie.


p.s. The heat this day was miserable and continues to get even more so. I almost can't stand it. We all came away with some good-lookin' farmers tans. I have to say that I am excited for winter. Yeah, I said it.

No comments: