Last week, I decided to buckle down and get my big girl Reagan potty-trained. She has been ready for a while, but I never really made up my mind 100% to do it. I don't know what did it for me this time. It was a combination of things. I was really sick of changing diapers all day. Two kids go through a lot of diapers. I sympathize with octo-mom. I think it was also encouragement from others going through the same thing that I could, in fact, do it. Reagan took to it like a champ. Some told me pull-ups don't work, but for us, they worked like a charm. Pretty "big girls" (undies), stickers, and cheap little trinkets left over from her 2nd birthday party, and we were set. She still gets excited when she goes, and still announces to everyone, no matter who is in the room, "Hey guys, I did it. Wanna see my pee?"
I have also not spent that much time in the bathroom since I was pregnant with Reagan, spending many a night hugging the porcelain throne. I have to say that the bathroom has made it up to me and he/she and I are now friends.
The only thing I would have done differently is doing it sooner. I think when she was first showing signs of being ready, I should have just gone with the flow, and not worried SO MUCH about the fact that I was pregnant and due in a couple of months. I think she would have done just fine. But I find that, with all things in parenting that I have experienced thus far, these things always seem scarier and much more daunting than they actually are. I also picked the absolute wrong week to do it, due to multiple wakings a night on Reagan's part due to who knows what. (We are both still averaging only a few hours of sleep a night.) But alas, I figured might as well deal with all of the yuck in one week. And I am glad I did. It's weird what a difference being (mostly) potty trained makes in how "big" my girl seems. It is sad, but it is happy. We're ready for the next big challenge to come our way! Proud of that little girl.
Shakespearean Parenting
9 hours ago

2 comments:
Who knows, had you started potty training her when you were pregnant she might not have been all ready and it could have been huge shenanigans!
Her taking so well to it just means she is ready now! You do such a great job of juggling those two sweet babies and keeping your sanity! I love reading your blog!
brooklin still gets extremely proud of herself too. one sunday during sacrament after scott had taken her to the potty she walked back in the chapel and said, "i go peepee in the potty momma!" of course it wouldn't have been so embarassing if i wasn't clear on the other side of the chapel. it definitely is a huge accomplishment for both child and parent. way to go!
Post a Comment